One of the side effects of chemo is hair loss. All hair. Not just the hair on the top of your head but eyebrows, eyelashes, underarm hair, leg hair and any other place that hair grows, including inside your nose. Soon I will be smooth as silk. Unfortunately my head will be cold. So I have purchased and received as gifts, some hats. I have modeled them in the pictures below. I bought the straw one, my sister Christine bought me the red/orange hat and my friend Susan gave me the white floppy one.
I think I probably have four or five days left of my hair. I am not really looking forward to it falling out but it is going to happen and so I have come up with a list of positives:
1. No more worrying about what kind of shampoo to buy. Curly hair, straight hair,thickening,,,,,,
2. No more hair products. Is it a spiker gel day or a soft curl day?
3. No more bad hair days. It will always be the same length.
4. No more shaving. Smooth legs and pits.
5. No more mascara decisions. Waterproof, soft black, black black…..
6. No more eyebrow plucking. My friend Roberta bought me an eyebrow kit to recreate mine when they disappear. While I am officially a “petite arch,” I could create all kinds of eyebrows. Freida Kahlo, Albert Einstein, Joan Crawford…
7. No more bed head. My family won’t compare me to Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill anymore.
I will shave my head at some point. I don’t know when that will be but will know when it should happen. Scott will probably be my barber. Unless I am very brave and do it myself.